One of my furlough Mondays involved giving our front door a makeover. I was really excited about this - not that we had an awful front door, but I wanted something more modern. And I was a major rebel, because I didn't even check with our HOA first...ssssshhh, don't spill the beans! Here's what our door looked like before:
Obviously, it was just your typical, builder-grade door, with brass hardware and in the same shade of red that about half of our neighbors had. So, we decided it needed a facelift. When it came to picking a color, we were between the following two shades of grey:
The color on the left is called Dark Cavern, and the color on the right is called Trail Print, both by Behr. I may be biased since I worked at Home Depot for a of couple years in college, but I really love Behr paint. I am not endorsed them, but I just find their brand to be of a very high quality, and it goes on very smooth.
After pondering the two colors, I settled on Trail Print. It doesn't show on the computer very well, but Dark Cavern looked too black on the paint swatch, and I didn't want the door to look black. In hindsight, I might have gone with the darker color, but I am still very happy with how it turned out!
As far as a tutorial, here is how we got the job done. First, we removed all hardware (you can tape, but we were changing it out anyways) and laid down plastic to protect the floors. Be sure to pick a nice day when you can have the door open most of the day, if you don't have a storm door. We also taped a few areas, like the side panel, the hinges and the bottom black seal strip. Other supplies were a brush (I used a 2.5" angle brush) and a small roller. As you can see, we managed to make this small-scale project as messy as possible:
The steps to paint the door are as follows:
- Paint the inset creases around the panels first
- Paint the raised panels
- Paint left-to-right for those boards connecting the side panels
- Paint up-and-down on left, middle, and right panels
We painted one coat, let it dry about an hour, then painted a second coat, and let it dry for a couple of hours before installing the new hardware. You don't want it tacky at all, or you'll have a mess when you install the hardware. We used Behr Ultra Paint with Primer, so we only needed two coats, and it was perfect! We also updated the hardware to brushed nickel. The kick-plate was actually the original brass one that we spray-painted with brushed nickel spray paint (the replacement I bought was too big), so we saved money there. Check out the results!
I am very happy with how it turned out!! It looks lighter/darker depending on the sun, and I really think it makes our house look more modern. And it goes great with our light blue siding. We even had one compliment from a neighbor already - cha-ching! :)